Reply To: Foraging 1: Where is everybody living? What is your foraging situation?

Home Forums Foraging Forum Foraging 1: Where is everybody living? What is your foraging situation? Reply To: Foraging 1: Where is everybody living? What is your foraging situation?

Anna W
Participant

Hello everyone, I’m Anna, from Scotland/Austria/Germany. I currently live in Amsterdam Noord.
A lot of Noord is quite residential, with many small green spaces, parks and courtyards in between the buildings. I don’t see many people foraging here.
I have been trying to find out about the safety of my area in terms of foraging. Beyond the obvious indicators such as busy roads, litter – how do you know what the earth is like? I know that parts of Amsterdam Noord are unsuitable for foraging due to high levels of heavy metals from the former ship-building industry (Specifically the areas in the South-West, close to the IJ river, such as NDSM. De Ceuvel has an interesting project where they plant specific plants to draw those toxic substances out of the ground.)
I am all the way in the North of Noord, in a very residential area, with some smaller roads, and only occasional litter. Does that mean I am far enough away and it would be considered safe? I am still investigating 🙂

s2Member®